Hi, we're CLANG!, a percussion band providing an interactive percussion program for kids.
We're currently booking educational school programs and concerts for 2011.
Clang! would love to share its interactive program with your school.
CLANG! Promo (Video)
CLANG! Non-Interactive at Clowes Auditorium #1 (Video)
CLANG! Non-Interactive at Clowes Auditorium #2 (Video)
A typical CLANG! program consists of:
- An opening song and welcome
- Explanation of how musicians interact with each other, especially the importance of listening to one another
- Introduction of found and homemade percussion items, and how anyone can make music out of just about anything
- We improvise songs and bring kids up to improvise with us
- We then talk about real percussion instruments and perform short improvisation pieces. Typically we discuss Steel Pan drums, Cajon drums, Djembe drums,Talking
drums and more unusual percussion from around the world
- This is followed by a kids jam including one of us orchestrating the group
- Finally, we wrap it up with a question and answer period
Kids love this program because they're learning
while having tons of fun with us.
And we're tons of fun!
Michael Beck (drums and percussion) started his musical career with the prog-rock band "Happy the Man" and recorded a number of albums with them on Arista records. An accomplished and versatile drummer and percussionist, he was most recently a founding member and main writer for the successful Indianapolis band "Dog Talk."
Tom Berich (Steel drum and percussion) has been playing professionally for over 16 years. He studied performance and construction from the “Father of the Modern Steeldrum," Ellie Mannette. He has been the "Directory Assistance" composer, engineer, producer and voice-over specialist for Verizon and Sprint. He's also produced many of Nickelodeon's live shows.
Joe O'Connell (Drums and percussion) studied percussion with Dr. Erwin Mueller and studied Music Education at Ball State University with an emphasis on percussion. He has played all styles of music professionally for over 30 years - Cajun to Classical, West African to Jazz, and everything in between. Joe was a member of the legendary Indianapolis band "The Spirtles."
CLANG! and its members have performed at the following schools and events:
- Indianapolis Library - Summer '10 performance series
- St Luke Catholic School, Indpls.,IN
- Immaculate Heart Of Mary, Indpls.,IN
- Indianapolis Children's Museum
- Orchard Park School, Indpls.,IN
- Park Tudor, Indpls.,IN
- Ethnic Expo, Columbus, IN
- Indianapolis Public Schools - magnet, elementary and junior high schools
- ArtsGarden, Indpls.,IN
- Meals On Wheels, Indpls., IN
- Indianapolis Art Center, Indpls., IN
- Hear Indiana - "Talk Walk Run"
- Muncie Mardi Gras, Muncie, IN
People like us
"With an energy that makes your body shake in rhythm, and a penchant for interacting and taking a wacky direction on homemade and exotic percussion instruments from around the world, Michael, Joe, and Tom will improvise on whatever they have at hand to set your feet a tappin' and make you smile! No program is ever the same!" ---- Tami Edminster (Indianapolis Central Library)